
The deep parts of my life pour onward,
as if the river shores were opening out.
It seems as if things are more like me now,
that I can see farther into paintings,
I feel closer to what language can't reach.
Rainer Maria Rilke
as if the river shores were opening out.
It seems as if things are more like me now,
that I can see farther into paintings,
I feel closer to what language can't reach.
Rainer Maria Rilke
I feel enormously grateful (and delighted) to have finished (and self-published with blurb.com) my 5th book, A HOUSE OF DOORS - a collection of poems that span over 30 years. (It costs $17.00 to $35.00 - I don't recommend the paperback edition, the hard cover is much better.)
Most of these poems are mine, but also included are "found poems", the collection of poetry by Joanna Brouk and Felicia Miller, with the illustrations I did for them back in the early '70's when we were young artists in Berkeley.
I have never been a prolific poet by any means...........I am well and truly a visual person first and foremost in my communicating and thinking processes. All of the poetry I feel was worth sharing I put into this little book,
and I'm well pleased, as I was to finally complete the MASKS OF THE GODDESS book. Honoring the Past, the Muse, the Friends, the Communities, Myself, and the Divine is what this 6 month writing project has been about, and with this book, I feel free to move on and give my attention to new projects. I can't wait to paint again..............


AMAZONS IV.
At the river's edge
I laid my armor down
laid down my sword and bow
untied my hair
this I did for you
I approached you
lying in the grass
at the river's edge
your body brown,
and graceful as a tree
unshod
you waited for me
I approached you
with desire
O my enemy
Lauren Raine (1975)
(As a footnote, because I published those poems on my website in 2006, Felicia found me on the Web, which resulted in us corresponding, and my finally going to Puerto Rico this August to meet her in person again. She's still a mermaid spinning stories about Undine, still the soul I remember well, still beautiful.)
Most of these poems are mine, but also included are "found poems", the collection of poetry by Joanna Brouk and Felicia Miller, with the illustrations I did for them back in the early '70's when we were young artists in Berkeley.
I have never been a prolific poet by any means...........I am well and truly a visual person first and foremost in my communicating and thinking processes. All of the poetry I feel was worth sharing I put into this little book,
and I'm well pleased, as I was to finally complete the MASKS OF THE GODDESS book. Honoring the Past, the Muse, the Friends, the Communities, Myself, and the Divine is what this 6 month writing project has been about, and with this book, I feel free to move on and give my attention to new projects. I can't wait to paint again..............

FOR THREE WEEKS
the cool moon
bound by occult cords
moves
through the houses
of memory and sleep
distills night in a bowl
But on the night of the full moon
what is mirrored
in a still pool?
Felicia Miller (1972)
the cool moon
bound by occult cords
moves
through the houses
of memory and sleep
distills night in a bowl
But on the night of the full moon
what is mirrored
in a still pool?
Felicia Miller (1972)

AMAZONS IV.
At the river's edge
I laid my armor down
laid down my sword and bow
untied my hair
this I did for you
I approached you
lying in the grass
at the river's edge
your body brown,
and graceful as a tree
unshod
you waited for me
I approached you
with desire
O my enemy
Lauren Raine (1975)
(As a footnote, because I published those poems on my website in 2006, Felicia found me on the Web, which resulted in us corresponding, and my finally going to Puerto Rico this August to meet her in person again. She's still a mermaid spinning stories about Undine, still the soul I remember well, still beautiful.)